OKU’S RAPID RESPONSE TO CLIENT NEEDS:
INVESTMENT PACKAGE OF EUR 2.6 MILLION IN QUALITY PERFORMANCE AND CAPACITY INCREASE
The first machine in the investment package is already in full swing, and the role of automation will be strengthened in Oku’s production units, with most of the new machinery starting operation by early 2023.
Two CNC Swiss lathes, a CNC precision lathe with high-speed gantry loader, two automatic band saws, a 5-axis machining centre and a 5-axis multifunctional lathe. This sums up Oku’s EUR 2.6 million investment package. This almost one-year investment programme is driven by strong product development in Oku’s client sectors.
– In a rapidly changing world, adaptability is one of our greatest assets. We need to be able to innovate, to ensure capacity adequacy, competitiveness, and quality. Quality is one of the most important strategic competitive factors for our clients as well as for us, says Päivi Kettunen, Oku’s Managing Director.
The investment will strengthen the role of automation in both production units. Oku will have a fleet of over 60 machine tools at the end of the investment programme.
Massive investment pipeline
Oku’s strategy has been steadfast despite cyclical fluctuations; investment decisions are made listening to the clients’ needs, rather than according to short-term fluctuations. The last automation project, worth around EUR 1.7 million, was completed for 2019-2020, preceded by an earlier investment of around EUR 1.5 million in 2017-2018.
– These investments made over a short period of time are certainly remarkable for a company of our size. They are also necessary; adding value for clients is what drives our work, says Päivi Kettunen.
”Cherry on the cake”
Oku’s precision parts are used in aeroplanes, firearms, X-ray and laboratory equipment, paper machines, precision tools, satellites, fibre manufacturing equipment and the food industry, among others. Although these sectors are united by the need for precision, their requirements differ.
– Diversity broadens perspectives on knowledge and teaches us new technologies. Our diverse know-how benefits our clients, Kettunen sums up the synergies.
– Global political tensions affect a huge range of issues, from raw materials to logistics and energy, from delivery times to security of supply. It seems that companies more and more are addressing the importance of local sourcing. To those who are interested in partnership our message is clear – just get in touch with Oku with an open mind, whatever your industry, when it comes to precision machining or fine mechanics.
Of the upcoming investment package, Kettunen highlights, the 5-axis Mazaki VARIAXIS i-300 AWC machining centre, which she describes as the cherry on the cake. The 32-pallet machining centre is planned to be commissioned in February-March 2023.
– The Mazak machining centre is an example of a highly automated state-of-the-art machine that will serve our clients in many industries.
Okun Koneistuspalvelu Oy
+358 50 196 710
Okun Koneistuspalvelu Oy (Oku) specialises in manufacturing high-tolerance, small to medium-sized precision components. Our skills and precision have been utilised from mining to space, both domestically and globally. The factories are located in Outokumpu, Finland. Oku employs 42 people. The company’s turnover in 2022 is forecast to be around EUR 5 million. www.oku.fi